Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Champlain Canon- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling

by Jonathan Alphonsus, CC Intern. Also on my Canon list: 'The Hiding Place' by Corrie Ten Boom

OK, I confess. I just read the first Harry Potter book.

I put it off when it first became the 'HP Phenomenon' because my 11-year old self needed to be 'cool' and stand-offish, thus preferring Manchester United as the logo on my pencil case and not the face of a bespectacled boy with a lighting-shaped scar on his forehead. For the record, Manchester United are still very cool.

Second confession, I've watched all the movies. I even watched the Goblet of Fire (book 4) and Deathly Hallows 2 (book 7) on preview night, ie paid a premium/stood in a long line for a long time to watch them early. I may or may not have enjoyed all these films thoroughly, causing me to always watch them whenever they're on TV. On our first date 10 months ago, my now-girlfriend and I watched Deathly Hallows 1 (I pretended to be unexcited because I wanted to impress her, secretly I was absolutely thrilled. She's still dating me, guess it worked?)

Confession no.3 : Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was. Fantastic.

What a book, super well-written and smoothly narrated. J.K. Rowling has this ability to make you imagine you're right there in Hogwarts. And even though I'm 21 now, I can still relate to the story and the characters, it doesn't necessarily feel like a kids book. I can totally understand how the boy who lived is now the stuff of literary legend. Not to mention financial legend: 120 million copies of book 1 have been sold, in 180 countries and 70 languages. It's interesting that Rowling's first advance for the story was only just over $4000.

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

No comments:

Post a Comment