Monday, August 2, 2010

Trent's DSO department


Trent DSO department and New Students
As a student registered with the Disability Services Office (DSO) at Trent, I would like my first blog to be on the topic of the disabilities and other student support services.
In my last year of high school I was diagnosed with dyslexia and even though my disability hadn’t prevented me from continuing my studies towards a post-secondary education, it most definitely presented a hindered potential for a positive educational experience at University.

In my first week at Trent, I booked a number of appointments with the DSO, because I didn’t have a clue about how my disability could function in a university environment. This was probably one of the best decisions as a student I could have made, because the DSO staff knew exactly how to compensate for my disability and provide the greatest effect for my success at school.
My grades have improved at university from the days when I was in high school and I can only imagine that is was partially due to the help from the Trent Disability Services office.
Incoming students or continuing students who have a recognized disability or believe they might have a disability, should take the time in the first week of school to book an appointment with the DSO. The faculty members are there to support Trent Students and if you feel hindered in your education, take advantage in what services the school can provide.
I can only describe my personal experiences with the Department; it very much services the school in a a positive way. If anyone has any questions don’t feel shy to send me an email.

Trent’s disabilities website link:

No comments:

Post a Comment