Thursday, September 23, 2010

Guest post from Ecuador



Shirin Nuesslin is a Trent leadership student who is on the Year Abroad program Trent in Ecuador. I thought you'd enjoy sharing in her experience through this guest blog.

Dearest friends,

The best way to start this e-mail is by saying “Que lindo” (How beautiful)! As most of you know, my academic journey as well as my curiosity about the world have led me to come to Ecuador; a beautiful country embedded between mountains, jungle and the sea, as well as couched in traces of Indigenous culture and influences of Western culture. It is a country of beautiful diversity, ecologically, culturally, gastronomically, and all the other categories that you could think of.

I commenced on this trip roughly month ago and I can happily announce that I feel very comfortable here! My heart has various compartments, and now there is one for Ecuador, too. I feel a step closer to global citizenship!

My classes started on Monday and am now fully immersed in Spanish vocabulary and syntax as well as buried under stack of interesting articles about Ecuador; but this is not how my journey begun. Disclaimer: I have tried to capture some of my experience in words; it will seem elaborate, but yet won’t do justice to my real experience.

It started out in Otavalo, a city in the ‘sierra’, the mountainous part of the country with a high presence of Indigenous people, where I participated in a seminar called “Contributing to the Prevalent Discourse of Society” offered by the Institute for Studies in Global Prosperity (for more detailed information, please see the PS note below this e-mail). We talked about education and development from a perspective that sees science and religion as two complementary systems of knowledge that have to be explored for civilization to be ever-advancing. It was a lot of food for thought and I have to say, that I can’t think of a better way to have started my journey here! Now I know youth from all around the country.

Besides the mental exercise, I was enchanted by waking up with the sunrise, to the sound of rooster, to the sight of mountains rising up against the horizon every direction in I would look. We conversed under fig, lemon and avocado trees, as well as played soccer and volleyball, but only as much as the altitude would allow me to (10 minutes for me, haha!).

Before my academic program started in Quito, I also headed up the coastal region with some friends – there I had a peek at the ocean, the chance to try seafood, go on an adventure to a river in the countryside, go on some rides in a public amusement park (with VERY low security measures!), but more so enjoyed interacting with neighbours and friends of the family I was staying with.

On my journey I have slept under a mosquito net at the coast, as well as in my fleece jacket, scarf, hat and under 5 wool blankets in the mountains. I have met many people, young and old, native to the country and from other places in the world, of simple lifestyle and affluent lifestyle, of a narrow worldview and one that is open-minded, of people conscious about the environment and others who are not. The diversity is great, just like in any other country!

AND, in addition, there is a greater sense of a quality of life that I have noticed and enjoyed truly so far. The sun sets at 6pm and gives another reason to spend time with friends and family conversing around the dinner table. And, sitting down for breakfast for 40 minutes with my Ecuadorian siblings on a regular school day is another nice custom.

Everyday on the way to my bus stop I am blessed by the view of mountains – an impressive contour of peaks and gorges as far as the eye can see – and houses of all sorts that have snuggled themselves up against the mountain slopes; small, big, pointy roofs or flat roofs with laundry hanging on the top, bright colours or fading colours. Most impressing, however, is the sight of volcano ‘Cotopaxi’ – the highest summit in the country, reaching almost 6000m – and once in a while, just like today, it’s a ‘three peak’ day: Clear sky and clean air allow me to see three white mountain tops in the distance, rising up like delicious ice cream against the horizon!

My host family has been very helpful in introducing me to Ecuadorian foods of all sorts, but my most favourite experience with them so far has been the trip to their farm in the countryside 3 hours out of the city. I spent the weekend surrounded by the peaceful sound of forest, birds and water. The property is filled with fruits and vegetables of all sorts, a clear river in which we swam, and animals, including horses, dogs, cows, and fish. I woke up to the sound of the rooster, the singing of birds and the hugging warmth of the coastal climate that does not exist in the mountains. I even had the chance to go on a quick horseback ride through the mountainous terrain and rocky river as well as viewed tucans and owls while walking through the thickets of the property.

However, the pace of countryside life is much different from that in the city: Here I learned how to cross multi-laned streets in the rush hour of Quito, how to get on and off passing busses, and have been amazed by people’s creativity in finding means of earning money.

On a more funny note, my attempt to play soccer (a very important activity in this country!) ended up in my first sport injury and my attempt to go on a bike ride in Quito was an adventure, too: It takes much concentration and good observation skills when trying to manoeuvre around pieces of glass on the streets, and changing the side of the road strategically whenever I see a ‘seemingly’ sleeping dog following my movements with his eyes; and, all of this while struggling to bike up-hill on a one gear bike in approximately 2,800m altitute. I have also noticed that as my skin is getting more tanned from the potent mountain sun (despite sun screen), my teeth are also getting stained due to the delicious coffee here.

Speaking of food, I can only say that my stomach has been spoiled in many ways here, especially by the fresh fruit juices I have 3 times daily. I love going to the market in my neighbourhood and seeing all the various fruits and vegetables that I have never seen before. I came expecting that I might get sick from the change in food and the water, but I am proud to say that I have not had any problems. But before I put all eggs in one basket, I was also told that parasites take a while to get settle-in in the stomach...

Things seem quite idyllic, you might think, and they are. It’s is beautiful but I should add that this impression is one that springs from an attitude of positivism and learning. What I have described in this e-mail is just my attempt to capture my first impressions here, and of course, these are the things I chose to see and chose to hear.

I study International Development Studies here and we, my Canadian classmates, are researchers here, we are told. We are trying to understand the happening – both from the past and the presence – in Ecuador. In my daily interactions, I try to be a conscious observer, like a sponge trying to soak in what meets the retina of my eye and the ear drum of my ears. There is the saying by St. Augustine “When in Rome, do as the Romans do”. I have definitely followed this saying, out of curiosity and respect to the culture, but can’t avoid using my discerning eye to look out for ways in which the lifestyle could be more sustainable. I understand I am analysing life here through a particular lens that has its own biases, but also remind myself that positive social change will never occur if noone was to constructively deconstruct the patterns of life. And in the same way, I try to reflect on my own actions: What is the impact of my words and actions here? How do they contribute to positive change or just reinforce unsustainable patterns of life?

And language-wise? My Spanish learning curve is progressing but clearly my comprehension curve has overtaken my ability to express my thoughts. My host family is very patient and corrects me, too. However, my brain is slightly confused because I am reading heavy academic articles in English as I am trying to acquire Spanish skills, while trying not to forget my German either. The result of this can look something like this: A confused Shirin that spoke all three languages at her 5 minute visit to the German consulate in Quito. Luckily the consulate is fluent in all three languages and had no problem understanding what I was trying to express.

Well, overall, I joined the program with the hope to embark on this journey with and an open mind, with discerning eyes, with friendly thoughts, and helping hands. I remind myself of a quotation I like by Baha’u’llah: “Let your vision be world embracing, rather than confined to your own self.”

It’s is all very exciting and would like to keep you all updated on my impressions and learning here, in the same way I will enjoy hearing from all of you about the happenings on your ends!

Saludos & a kiss on the cheek, a custom that I have gotten used to now!

- Shirin


PS: Offered by the Institute for Studies in Global Prosperity, this seminar opens a space in which to engage in a conversation about meaningful education and development, based on the understanding that science and religion are two complementary systems of knowledge that give a holistic view of human reality. It is beautiful!

In order to construct an ever-advancing civilization we need to develop both spiritually and materially, and we need to realize our dual purpose - we need to develop both as individuals as well as make sure to contribute to society. It is our responsibility to create equal access to knowledge, be part of generating knowledge and helping to apply the knowledge. We engaged in discussion on concepts that will be helpful when contributing to the prevalent discourse of society; for example, the concept and importance of family, community, society, moral standards, attraction to real beauty, investigation of truth, our dual purpose, real service, and real learning. As I mentioned before, it was food for thought; something I can nibble on as I am studying IDS here!

No comments:

Post a Comment