Saturday, November 13, 2010

What is Remembrance Day all about?

I was honoured to be a part of a Remembrance Day ceremony in the Great Hall of Champlain on Thursday morning. It was a privilege to share the podium with a Trent student, Ethan Mcdonald, who is an officer Cadet in the Canadian armed forces. I was very moved by the depth of thought, reflection, feeling, and commitment in the words that he shared that day. I'm grateful that he shared that text with me so that you might read it here.

What is Remembrance Day all about?

When I was young, it was about wearing a little red flower in November. Growing up, it took on a human side; a wrinkly face with white thinning hair and bright eyes despite failing health with age.

Today as I wear this uniform, it means much more and I would like to share this with you.

After taking several history courses in high school and university, I discovered that often, war was waged for political or religious reasons and very often unknown to those whom it consumed. Rarely did it bring what was promised: freedom and a better life for those it affected; and war rarely brought peace.

I was taught that long ago, men went overseas and fought for their home country in the Great War, to bring back peace and victory for the commonwealth. In 1917 our great nation was born under fire in France. Young Canadians took the untakeable at Vimy Ridge and endured the unendurable at Passchendaele, many never leaving Flanders Fields. The armistice took place one year later--the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month 1918. Never again!

In 1939, the nations of the world mobilized once again for another round, this time the Allies were off to fight amongst others, a man named Adolf Hitler and his armies who in a short time, controlled most of Europe. Once again, young Canadians answered the call and scaled the cliffs of Assoro, suffered in Hong Kong and took Juno Beach. Six years later they returned with victory and an uneasy peace. The world learned of the horrors of the holocaust and wept from the devastation. Never again!

For the next 45 years, the world held its breath while Western and Communist armies sparred in remote regions of the world. Canadians held the unholdable at Kapyong and in the 90’s when United Nations peace keeping became the political focus, Canadians in sky blue berets of hope, sat out of a politically incorrect war and watched as millions were murdered in Rwanda. Never again!

I suppose it would sound rather cynical for me to say this and suggest that war has never accomplished anything worth its cost; that by this perhaps, the deeds of veterans are meaningless. If you only focus on the big picture and not what’s in an individual’s heart, this may be all that you believe. However, I do not come to you today to preach on the politics or history of international conflict. My query is much simpler; not why we have war, but why we have warriors?

The truth is, regardless of politics, regardless of race, religion, ethnicity or anything else that separates and divides humans or causes war; veterans and soldiers of conflicts past and present serve because they feel a duty. A duty to do all that is in their power to bring peace, freedom and a higher quality of life, to those who are without it. For any individual to take action on their beliefs especially with goals such as these is truly remarkable.

The truth is, even today within this great nation of Canada, there are still thousands who take up this cause. They are deployed to the Middle East, in Afghanistan and other troubled areas around the world. Regardless of their job, they all make a sacrifice, the same as those before them. Leaving their families, their daily lives and country behind and donning the uniform of a Canadian Soldier. All gave some; some 152 of my brothers and sisters gave all, giving their lives for what they believe in.

I can tell you this with absolute certainty today as I don the uniform of a Canadian Soldier as many nineteen year olds have done before me. My profession is that of arms, my job is to fight. Yet my mission is to preserve peace, to ensure freedom and quality of life for all. My mind says “Never again!” but my heart says, “I must do something!”

So today on the eleventh of November, many may ponder the question “What does Remembrance Day mean?” To me, it is a day to remember the conflicts of the past and present, but focusing on the men and women who serve instead of dwelling on politics or the outcome. Remembrance Day is about people, who became soldiers, who went off to war and fought for what they believe in.

Remembrance Day is about those who never made it home. We will remember them.

- A Canadian Soldier.

No comments:

Post a Comment