Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Welcome to YOUR next Milestone

Exactly four years ago today, I was sitting in a hot and crowed gymnasium awaiting and anticipating the excitement of receiving my High School Diploma. I thought that once I received that piece of paper, my life was over. No more friends, no more ISUs, no more memories to last me a life time. But what I hadn't realized was that it was only the beginning.

By the end of August 2006, I was feeling more excited about moving to school. I remember the feelings of excitement and uncertainty with what would come. After I had settled into my residence room and said goodbye to my parents, I went down into the Quad. Outside there were a large group of excited and energetic students greeting all the new students...just like me! They wanted to know everything about all the new students. They also encouraged me to come out to various activities hosted by the college and university over the week.

Introductory Seminar Week (ISW) was a huge part of my university career at Trent. ISW in my first year, was especially important as a new student.It allowed me to check out all the classes I was signed up for, the classes I wanted to take, and last but not least, how to have fun! It was through ISW that I met some of the people whom I have been friends to this day.

In my second year, I wanted to help new students just like the staff members helped me in my first year. It was through my involvement with ISW as a staff member, I was able to continue to branch out in supporting the college that I will always love dearly through my extra-curriculars.

As my 4 years have come to an end at Trent, and more so in Champlain, one thing I will always hold and offer as advice to any student coming to Trent is take part in ISW, and more importantly find something you love to do and don't give up on it; it will lead you to new opportunities and perhaps allow you try something out of your regular comfort zone.

"Reach for the moon and if you miss you'll land among the stars"---Les Brown

2 comments:

  1. Great story! ISW is very exciting and really is a great way to meet and connect with others.

    ReplyDelete